Too many princes, not enough sex?

So, Too Many Fairy Princes is finished, and I love it. It’s one of the few things I’ve written to which I would quite like to do a sequel. (Maybe where Drake keeps killing people and our heroes get caught up in the police investigation.) But it has no sex scene in it. It has a love story, an awful lot of UST, quite a bit of kissing, and a fade to black ending, but no sex.

I’m torn. I’m sure it would be more widely acceptable to publishers and readers alike if it had a final sex scene, but I don’t want to write one, and I don’t really think it needs one. In fact, as it’s pitched – mood wise – around the level of a Dr. Who story, I think it’s almost suitable to be classed as Young Adult, and a final sex scene would be out of keeping with the rest of it.

Rather than angst about this, I guess the thing to do is to ask my agent for her advice. Can a writer get away with fade to black romance, these days? What do you think?

Other excellent news – the cover art I did for Erastes’ Junction X is a finalist in this year’s Rainbow Awards

I’m gobsmacked by how high the standard for covers has become in the last few years. I started making them at a time when cover art was pretty dire, because I thought ‘I can do better than this.’ But now I’m thinking of hanging up my Gimp (yes, I know, don’t say it) for good, because I don’t think I can keep up with this rapid advance of excellence.

Right. UK Meet is coming up this weekend. I suppose I should go and write my talk!

Comments (6)

Kat MerikanSeptember 14th, 2012 at 12:45 am

I love both reading and writing erotic fiction, but if the mood of a story is more romantic, and not around the sex, a fade to black could be the way forward. It would seem strange to have a more ‘delicate’ mood and then at the end – BAM!sex-scene.

(See you at the meet! :D )

HJSeptember 14th, 2012 at 8:38 am

Just put a comment on Goodreads, which is where I read your post, about an interesting article by Sherry Thomas on selecting cover designs. New to me was the issue of what a cover looks like in thumbnail view.

Hope you enjoy the UK Meet!

Alex BeecroftSeptember 14th, 2012 at 11:12 am

That’s good to know :) And yes, I think it would be out of keeping with the rest of it. To be honest, the more I write the less I want to do the sex scenes in general. It was an interesting challenge at first, but now I find them mostly boring. Perhaps I need a rest from the more explicit stuff.

See you tomorrow!

Alex BeecroftSeptember 14th, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oh, that’s very interesting, HJ. Thanks for the link! Yes, you have to think about what it will look on the white background of most blog posts too. Which is a shame, because white areas on a cover can be quite dramatic in real life, but they do look odd on a white page.

Thank you! My daughter is moving out the day after, to go to university, so UK Meet’s being a bit overshadowed by that for me this year. But I’m still looking forward to it.

Char NewcombSeptember 15th, 2012 at 1:17 am

Congrats on Junction X!

Keep us posted on your agent’s verdict regarding the fade to black. I’m hoping it’s acceptable because I’m aiming for passion & fun with foreplay but a fade to black with my historical fiction. I’ve attempted to right graphic sex and, while you & others have done it beautifully, mine always is short, clumsy, clunky, and worse. :)

Enjoy getting your daugher off to uni & the UK meet.

AlexSeptember 18th, 2012 at 8:03 am

Hi Char! Sorry about taking so long to reply – my computer is broken and I’m having to borrow someone else’s. Strangely, I haven’t had a reply to my email even to say that the agent received the letter, yet, so that’s another thing I’ll have to chase up when I’ve got the computer repaired. I suspect that adding another 5K to take the book into printable size might be a good idea in any case.

UK Meet was great, thanks! But daughter in London = three days of sobbing.