Help, I’m alive!

OK, that’s maybe not the title I’d have gone for if I’d been going for informational value. I just have the song running through my head at the moment. “Help, I’m alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer.’ Let me see if I can find it somewhere so you can have it running through your head too.

All of which is an enormous aside, because what I mean is ‘Help, I’ve finished the novel I was working on. What should I do next?’

I really want to write some heroines. This is a problem, given that everything I’ve ever published is m/m. If I write some heroine led books, where would I publish them? Who would read them? Why on earth would I be even contemplating starting again from scratch when I should really buckle down and concentrate on writing the books I know people want me to write?

Actually maybe the song is not that inappropriate after all. ‘I tremble. They’re going to eat me alive.’

Why do I do this to myself? Why can’t I settle on anything? Oh god, it’s far more appropriate than I thought, or else it’s my author’s mind turning everything into a metaphor, but look – I’m such a butterfly. I can’t stay on one flower very long.

I could try, though. What do you think? Have you got m/m books you badly want me to write? Any suggestions? Or should I go off and write another Lioness book which no one may ever read? And then that one with the squad of Faerie paranormal investigators? And then whatever comes next?

Speaking of which, I’m badly in need of someone to beta read Lioness of Cygnus 5 for me. It’s an all action sci-fi romp in which a hard-bitten female space captain and a cowardly techno-criminal are shipwrecked on a penal planet and have to work together to survive. Anyone fancy reading it and getting back to me with questions and suggestions for how it can be improved?

15 Comments on "Help, I’m alive!"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Karen Wellsbury
Guest
1 year 5 months ago

I would gladly read for you, also yes on the heroine front, I struggle to find credible women

Carolyn
Guest
Carolyn
1 year 5 months ago
Alex, you’re making me laugh, which may or may not be your intent. I would answer, write what you want. I am a reader, though, so I don’t know what makes sense for an author to do, you know, if they care about that whole selling books thing. I wish it was as easy as, write a great story, but we know how many great stories languish. I will say, though, if you feel the desire to write more heroines, I honestly feel like you should. I think you come from a great perspective on things and would truly add… Read more »
Becky Black
Guest
1 year 5 months ago
I did an F/F story last year – at least in part because I was missing writing women as the lead characters. I include women in my m/m books as much as I can and try to make them awesome. But still, they’re not the leads, so they don’t get the POV and I miss them. The last time I wrote a novel length story with a female lead, and loads of other women characters, was my NaNoWriMo 2007 book! The F/F short is with JMS books. Right now I’m working on the draft of a longer F/F story, intended… Read more »
Tigg
Guest
Tigg
1 year 5 months ago

Hell yes write us some heroines, please!

Dianne T.
Guest
Dianne T.
1 year 5 months ago

Oh, Alex… please write the characters and stories that speak to you! I will happily read anything from your pen, keyboard… mind, whatever! Caveat… still patiently waiting for more Charles and Jasper πŸ˜‰ I’d ask to read Lioness too, but alas my plate overflows at this time.

Just finished Blue Eyed Stranger and was captivated once again by your insight into the characters and ability to transport me to the scenes in the story. view coming for release day. πŸ™‚

Dianne T.
Guest
Dianne T.
1 year 5 months ago

LOL… Review coming πŸ˜‰

Becky Black
Guest
1 year 5 months ago

@Alex. yes, lots of my stories have tended to be sort of “we’re falling in love in the middle of all this other stuff going on.” πŸ˜€ I’m someone who came to the m/m genre from the fandom side, rather than from the m/f Romance side, so the romance structure and tropes aren’t in my blood the way they are for some.

The fantasy novella is called Immutable and will be out in the summer in the Dreamspinner Press Bittersweet Dreams line, because it doesn’t have a happy ending.

Dianne T.
Guest
Dianne T.
1 year 5 months ago

Interesting… I realize I never read “romance” before diving into the MM genre. I acknowledge I first forayed into MM looking for smut, but got bored after about 3 books worth of sex, sex sex. I needed plot, substance, intrigue, character growth etc. and was so happy to discover that there were/are authors such as Alex out there delivering just that – and brilliantly!! In my beloved historical settings no less!! I do love reading relationship arcs but if there is a “romance structure”, I’m not aware of it!

BTW, my review for BES is here πŸ˜‰ http://itsaboutthebook.com/2015/04/07/blue-eyed-stranger-trowchester-blues-2/

wpDiscuz