Captain’s Surrender alternative dustcovers

Naked men on the covers of books are maybe not to everyone’s tastes. So I thought I would make a dustcover which could be used to hide them when in public 🙂

This was my first attempt:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Which is still my favourite. But unfortunately, although I had originally thought ‘those old paintings are bound to be out of copyright now’, it turned out that it was not so. The copyright to this painting – a portrait of Captain Alexander Hood – is held by the National Maritime Museum in the UK.

So I had to scratch that idea.

Next I found some free photos at Flickr and made this:

CS dust cover 2

Which has no copyright problems, but doesn’t give the impression of being a historical novel of any kind. (In fact I had to paint out the radar and GPS equipment on the ship’s masts!)

So finally I discovered a site with copyright free old paintings on it here:

and came up with a third version:

CS dust cover 3

which I am happy with. If you fancy a copy of this one (big enough to cover a book) it’s available for download from my website HERE

6 Comments on "Captain’s Surrender alternative dustcovers"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
blackhound
Guest
blackhound
8 years 9 months ago

It’s lovely! And a good idea — making the dustjacket available.

alexbeecroft
Guest
8 years 9 months ago
Thanks! They’re no where close to your standard, of course, because I had to rely on just finding a nice picture and slapping some words on it. I’m also having doubts about whether I’ve made them the right size, because I don’t know whether CS will be out in trade paperback or ordinary paperback form. I’ll probably have to fix that later. *g* But I’ll probably be using one myself, to avoid embarrassment. It’s not that I’d be ashamed to be seen reading a m/m book. It’s just that the present cover is so… tacky 😉 So I made it… Read more »
HMS dauntless
Guest
HMS dauntless
8 years 9 months ago

But your final choice is very beautiful all the same. Love the look of the cover ! It’s quite dramatic and powerful like any other true naval cover. The central golden light in the midst of all those clouds is very eye-catching. 🙂

wulfila
Guest
wulfila
8 years 9 months ago

I agree with Dauntless – it is a pity that you cannot use Captain Hood! That would have been a gorgeous cover (and subtly sexy too, in a way ;)). 🙂

alexbeecroft
Guest
8 years 9 months ago
Oh, what a pity you could not use the dandy captain Hood ! I loved his laces and the exquisite blue of his uniform. But your final choice is very beautiful all the same. Yay! Thank you 🙂 And yes, I agree that the original cover is somehow more alluring. Those uniforms are sexy by themselves! But the shipwreck picture is quite good because it could easily be a picture of the aftermath of the battle in Hudson Bay. And as you say the colours and the light are really lovely. Of course, if the publishers want to try a… Read more »
alexbeecroft
Guest
8 years 9 months ago

Yes, I think it’s quite sexy too. Judging from the comments of other people, I don’t think we’re alone in finding the beautiful clothes appealing. Also Captain Hood is not too bad himself 🙂 Doesn’t he have the most amazing neck?

wpDiscuz